So as to be able to maintain my focus, I ended up giving myself a task: I would try to organize the high school standards in a way that I believe is realistic given students' mathematical maturity in grades 9-12, trying to stay close to a sequence I know works reasonably well. This was not easy to do, but I managed to get through the whole thing in time for a talk I gave in November. It took much longer to write up my conclusions, and to incorporate feedback from trusted friends, but I'm finally done.
The short version:
- I like the direction the CCSSM takes in high school in its stated goals, in the shifts in algebra and geometry content, and in the acknowledgment of a central role for technology.
- I don't like the unrealistic implementation timetables, the shrinkage of geometry, the fact that there are way, way too many standards, and the fact that many come too soon.
- I hate the tie-in with high-stakes tests.
Read it online, or better, download the PDF.
Read about some of the responses I got here.
A compilation of all my Common-Core-related posts.
--Henri
PS: Just to be clear: the paper is a summary of my views about the high school CCSSM. It is not an attempt at reorganizing the standards, even though I have no doubt I would be qualified to attempt such a project.
No comments:
Post a Comment